Support Engineer/SQL DBA
- Department: Support and Infrastructure
- Responsible to: Head of Support and Infrastructure
- Location: Bristol
- Contract: Permanent
- Salary: £Negotiable
Please send your CV or get in touch
Under the direction of the Head of Support and Infrastructure, the Support Engineer/SQL DBA assist the Epro support team in providing outstanding support to their customers.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems
- Ensure the availability and consistent performance of our bespoke application
- Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments to progress
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycles and environments, from development to mission-critical production systems
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security
- Assist the Epro support team in providing general support to an IIS/SQL hosted web application
- Apply data modelling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyse, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement
- Provide 24x7 support for critical production systems
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members
The Support Engineer/SQL DBA reports to the Head of Infrastructure and Support. There are no line management responsibilities.
The nature of software development and deployment in a critical healthcare environment means that some work may be required out of hours. Any time spent in this way will be given back as time-in-lieu.
Epro is committed to software of the highest quality in a rewarding working environment. In delivering this ambition, we will be guided by the following values:
- Taking personal responsibility for delivering quality
- Respecting everyone
- Recognising success
- Working together as a team
All staff have a personal responsibility to contribute towards an inclusive and supportive environment for colleagues.
Staff have a personal responsibility to:
- Ensure their behaviour is not discriminatory and does not cause offence
- Challenge the inappropriate behaviours of others
- Adhere to the company’s values, including ‘Respecting Everyone’
Health and Safety
Under the provisions contained in the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, it is the duty of every employee to take reasonable care of themselves and their colleagues.
Line Managers are responsible for the health and safety management of all activities, areas and staff under their control.
- Degree qualified in a Computing discipline relative to application development.
- Educated to Bachelors level/professional qualification or equivalent experience.
- Experience of working within the NHS or with NHS customers
Quantify the length and type of experience required
- 5+ years MS SQL Server Administration experience required
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Awareness of NHS Information Governance principles
What other skills are needed
- Experience of managing multiple projects and/or competing priorities and deadlines
- Proven organisational and administrative skills
- Awareness of NHS priorities and drivers
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate and build effectively at all levels
- Proven ability to motivate, overcoming resistance through excellent communication, genuine enthusiasm and transparency
- High degree of personal integrity and desire for best practice customer service
- Able to develop and apply creative and pragmatic solutions to problems
- Troubleshoot risks and issues innovatively
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills
- Ability to travel to Trust locations where necessary
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organised
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus